Sick Notes

Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2), which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

The practice does not issue private sick notes for periods of seven days or less.

Temporary change to fit notes (31.12.21) - If your period of sick leave started on or after 10th December 2020, then the seven day self-certification period has been extended to 28 days. Your employer can only ask for proof of your sickness (such as a fit note from the GP) after 28 days of sickness (including non-working days). You can complete a self-certification here: Statutory Sick Pay Form SC2. This form can be completed electronically and then printed.

For further information regarding self-certification and fit notes, please see NHS when do I need a fit note? or GOV.UK taking sick leave

Evidence that you are sick

  • If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to given them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).
  • Most employers ask for a fit note from your GP.
  • You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a fit note from your GP.
  • With your employer’s support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.
  • If you require an extension of a fit note that has previously been issued, please contact our reception team.

For more information, see the Direct GOV website.

Certificates for school absence due to accident or illness

  • GPs do not provide school absence certificates for children. The parent’s explanation for an absence should be sufficient evidence for schools.
  • Fit notes are provided only for employment and statutory sick pay reasons. They may not be issued for any other purpose.
  • If a certificate of sickness or absence is required by a school or college for education purposes (such as missing a major exam), this is not an NHS service and the GP practice may levy a charge.
  • If there are safeguarding or legal concerns relating to a pupils school attendance, GPs may share certain information with Children’s Social Care.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website